Saturday, August 16, 2008

A Day at the Beach!

This week, my mom got a place down at the shore, so my sister's family and I went down Tuesday evening and all day Wednesday. I forgot to bring my camera to the boardwalk, but that turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Cecilia ended up throwing a fit because she didn't win when she tried to play Whack a Mole--shit, I'm no good at whack a mole either! She threw herself on the boardwalk in a fit, face down, kicking and screaming. I tried to tell her that she can't win every time. Mom told me later that I should have waited for to rationalize with her. Live and learn.
The next day at the beach was fun. Both girls were in good spirits. Loving the ocean and the sand, the sand crabs. I, personally, am not a beach person. I'm pale, I'm overweight, and sand gives me high anxiety. I say this jokingly, but I'm serious. Having sand everywhere makes me crazy! It's like the grass in Easter Baskets or tinsel for the Christmas tree--you find it throughout the year--you can't get rid of it! For me, it's also the fact that I'm re-applying sunscreen frequently, and I have sand all over me. So, I rinse in the ocean (but I don't swim--not in the Atlantic, anyway). But I still feel gritty, so I try to dry off with a sand-covered towel. Now you see why I only went down for one day. I'm happier sand-free. It sucks too, though because I don't share the excitement for the shore as the girls do. Their daddy loves the beach, so he spent the day humoring their requests. Cee and I did search for sand crabs, and she sat with me under the umbrella and had snacks. We jumped over the waves (the baby waves). I helped Soph jump the waves too. She genuinely loves the ocean, but you can definitely see the trepidation in her eyes. She would run away from it with her arms out, screaming and laughing. But I did spend a lot of the day taking pictures and reading under the umbrella. I do like the relaxing aspects of the beach.
Now, I'm home, and I haven't gone through my beach bag yet because I don't want to deal with the sand yet. It's too soon.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Oh I am SOOOO not a sand/beach person either!!! Glad to learn I am not the only one! :)